This truck has traveled from Europe to Africa, then shipped over to South America and drove up from Ushuaia and after that north, through Chile, Bolivia, Peru, Equador and Colombia, and as a result is has a little wear and tear.
One of the bits of damage were two quarter sized holes in the camper unit.
They had been covered with duct tape, but it was time to get them repaired.
Fortunately, I’m pretty good are fiberglass repair so I got to work. First I cleaned and prepped the area and got all the old adhesive off.
Then I mixed up some fiberglass body filler.
I filled the holes and sanded down the excess.
I let it dry for about an hour and then masked off the area so I could paint it.
A few coats of epoxy spraypaint, let it dry for an hour, then remove the tape and paper.
Almost a perfect color match. Much better than black tape and two holes.
As you may remember, we were nearly stranded when the starter motor malfunctioned outside of Roswell New Mexico.
With a bunch of tapping with a heavy wrench, and a bit of luck, we got the engine started and then proceeded to drive for two days without shutting the engine off.
Sometimes the truck would start, and sometimes it wouldn’t. Obviously that’s unacceptable, so we searched for a new replacement.
It turns out that the only place I could find a replacement 24V started motor was in Poland. We ordered it, and it took over two months to get it. The next step was getting the old one out ans putting the new one in.
I’d like to thank Eddie and his guys at 88844MOTOR for his help. They are located about two miles from my house and work on commercial trucks and semis and really know their stuff. The them, a Unimog is just another big truck, and they weren’t phased at all.
If you ever need your MOG worked on, give them a call.
When I bought the MOG, I knew the fridge did not work.
I thought it might be an easy repair. Unfortunately, like most things MOG, it wasn’t.
Apparently the previous owner tried to get it fixed in Columbia (The country) and the results were not successful.
In fact the repair job made things much worse. The compressor was removed and disassembled. The controller was damaged, and all the refrigerant was released.
Here’s what I was looking at.
The compressor was in a box.
The controller was removed…
It was in pieces…
I thought I could just buy a new fridge, but that wasn’t possible since this model Dometic MDC-90 is not sold in the USA. Nor can you buy one overseas and have it shipped here, for some reason.
So the search began for replacement parts…
The fridge actually uses very common parts, and over the course of a few months I was able to order them from around the world. The problem was putting them all back together again.
It turns out the project was beyond my skill set.
But I did some more research, and it turns out this Dometic fridge is very common on sailboats. So started searching all the sailing forums, and it turns out there is a very skilled Dometic repairman right here in Southern California! So I called and spoke to Thor, at Thor Faber Marine Service in Huntington Beach. I explained my problem and was simply told, “No problem, just bring the fridge and your parts.”
I was ecstatic!
Two weeks after dropping off the fridge, I got a call back telling me it was fixed and to come by and pick it up.
Amazing. There are still a few skilled, and honest people in this world…
Thank you Thor!
It only took a few hours to get the fridge reinstalled in the Mog.
So YES! We have a working fridge again. Cold beer is now a reality.
If you ever need service on your Dometic fridge, I recommend Thor.